Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Whatcha Readin'? Wednesday

A tiny tot edition of Whatcha Readin'!

I found this fabulous book at a library sale:



Mole and the Baby Bird 
by Marjorie Newman
illustrated by Patrick Benson

It's not only adorable to look at but the book's message is important.

Summary: 
Little Mole discovers and successful cares for an abandoned baby bird. The admirable rescue turns sour when Mole decides that because he has grown to love the bird he will cage it to keep it near him. Eventually Mole realizes that the greatest love he can show to the bird is to set it free. 

He's mine because I love him!


Our world can be so very "I want what I want and I don't care if it's not really mine," especially when it comes to using or displacing those we consider Others (including--and perhaps especially--other species). Sometimes we act from a place of love, sometimes from a feeling of entitlement.

I don't pretend to have it all figured out (I struggle with several of my own "I want what I want"s) but Mole and the Baby Bird would be an appropriate way to begin to explore and discuss the subject with Uli. It successfully communicates the importance of thinking about the whole welfare of others, taking into consideration their spirit and their natures.


I love you, so I respect your nature


Maybe, you say, my impression of the story is too grand for one little 25 page picture book. (I am coming off of a recent Avatar viewing...). But no. No it's not. This is a great book. Perfectly interesting and attractive for the toddler being read to, thought provoking for the adult as she reads it aloud.

3 comments:

Aunt Katie February 13, 2010 at 1:32 PM  

I think that this book sounds great! I am all for books with deeper messages. :)

Anonymous February 15, 2010 at 10:54 AM  

Go for it...instill those caring qualities. She will thank you for it someday. It sounds like a wonderful book. *I know I can still remember some of the character building books from when we were little (love the books on tape).

Anonymous February 15, 2010 at 11:42 PM  

What a lovely looking book. For B we have been reading the very hungry caterpillar...over and over and over.

For me I finally finished the last Harry Potter book and started on Sense and Sensibility (can you believe I have never read it??)

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP