Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Whatcha Readin'? Wednesday: Bear Snores On

This review isn't finished per se, but I'm trying to push through this block of mine and just hit "Publish" whenever I've got something of length. Reader be warned. (I promise I'm working on my brain! It'll have complete thoughts, transferrable to keyboard, again someday...)

I love reading Bear Snores On to Uli. It's one of our "go-to" stories each evening as we prepare for bed. 



Bear Snores On 
written by Karma Wilson
illustrated by Jane Chapman


Perhaps, in part, I enjoy it because it reminds me of a classic from my childhood,  The Mitten. Both books have a similar premise: during a snow storm, a variety of animals seek shelter in the same [unlikely] place. The animal characters in Bear Snores On, rather than huddling (incredulously, yet delightfully as I remember it) in a mitten, come upon Bear hibernating in his cave and make themselves comfortable as they wait out the storm. Predictably, bear wakes up and discovers that he has guests.

It's not even so much the story (which is nice, but nothing new) that makes both Uli and I like this book. Fact of the matter is, it's fun to read aloud.  




Such enjoyable poetry! Go on, try the words above. Aloud.

Don't you love how it feels, those words tripping off your tongue?

We'll be readin' Bear Snores On every Wednesday (and Thursday, Friday, Saturday...) for quite some time, I do believe. I don't know if Wilson has other books. I should look into that.

3 comments:

Momma February 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

I loved reading this to Uli, too! As I remember, Lulu got excited also! Fondly remembering many reading of, "The Mitten".

Thomasin February 26, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

Ah, yes: that was Ruby! She was afraid of your Bear voice. ;-)

Lauren Wayne March 9, 2010 at 2:37 AM  

Oh, good! I've been so enjoying reading this one out loud too. I'm glad other people are sharing the same happiness at how the words just trip along.

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP